Nights Community Disability Worker (full time) - Barrhead
Job Number: J1119-0713
Job Type: Permanent, Full-Time
City: Barrhead, Alberta
Closing Date: December 2, 2019
Hiring Manager: Marie Stad - Program Manager
Compensation: $17.09 - $20.00/Hour (+$3/hr complex needs rate)
Program 336-43 - Auto Alley
WJS Canada is hiring a highly qualified Disability Support Worker for a residential home in Barrhead to support/supervise individuals with challenging behaviours and developmental disabilities including: developmental delays, epilepsy, Disruptive Behavior Disorder and PTSD. Challenging behaviours will occur on a daily basis and therefore, only those with previous experienced with de-escalation techniques and providing supports to persons with high behaviours and complex needs will be contacted for an interview.
**As a Complex Needs program this qualifies for an additional $3/hr to the regular wage**
Barrhead is a town in central Alberta, located 1.5 hours northwest of Edmonton.
Only applicants with a minimum of 2 years experience working with individuals with significant mental health concerns, aggressive behaviours and/or trauma will be interviewed for this challenging position. Please provide a cover letter detailing your suitability for this role.
**10 awake hours at regular wage ($17-20 + $3 complex needs rate); 4 sleep hours at $15/hr
In Your Role You Will
• Support/supervise complex behavioural, emotional and social needs/development (in the residence & during community activities); observing & documenting changes
• May be required to perform physical restraints (holds) on an individual to stop an individual from violent or destructive behaviours that place themselves or others at risk.
• Use computer program to write objective daily reports.
• Use de-escalation techniques to deal with challenging behaviours on a daily basis.
• Provide individualized supports within a consistent, healthy & safe environment
• Assist with household chores (meal prep, cleaning, etc.)
• Drive person in care (in your own vehicle) within the community.
• Participate in vocational, recreational, leisure activities.
• Provide immediate support in crisis situations.
• Assist in the design, implementation & evaluation of ISPs, program specific policies & procedures.
• Connect the individual with their family, friends & community.
• Administer medication, first aid if/when necessary.
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 3 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• Work well in an environment with potential for aggression/violence
• MUST HAVE 2 years experience working with individuals with significant mental health concerns, aggressive behaviours and/or trauma.
• Prefer a Certificate, Diploma or Degree – Disability Service Worker, Special Education or related field; Grade 12 Diploma minimum requirement;
• Valid class 5 driver license (or GDL and 2 years driving experience) with clear driving abstract and reliable vehicle
• Clear criminal record check & social services involvement check (UPLOAD COPY IF AVAILABLE)
• Current First Aid/CPR and Non-Violent Crisis Intervention certification (NVCI or CPI)
• Training in Trauma Informed Practice, Medication Administration, Suicide Intervention, Behaviour Management, Conflict Resolution, Food Safe
• Confident & able to function in a crisis
What WJS Canada does
WJS Canada’s mission is ‘We serve individuals and families with high quality, personalized, and culturally responsive support’. The social supports we provide for families, emphasizes building relationships to enhance the family's strengths and achieve goals that address their needs for support in areas of struggle.
Our Employees Enjoy
• Safe, supportive and caring team environment
• Training programs to ensure professional development and career development
• Flexible hours
• Generous benefit packages
Is this the opportunity you've been looking for?
If so, please apply online at www.wjscanada.com